Calgary First Time Home Seller
Sell My Calgary Home!!
A STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO SELL YOUR CALGARY HOME!
Find out what you owe on your property
Contact your mortgage holder to VERIFY your mortgage balance AND any pre-payment penalties for breaking your mortgage early. If you are selling and then buying, ask about “Mortgage Porting” and if there are any additional fees associated.
Find out what your home is worth
- Starting with our exclusive property valuation tool mypropertyinfo.cayou can get a very good initial idea of your homes market value based on 6 months worth of sold data for your particular home in in your particular area. Next, book a tour of your home to review the condition, home features, finishing’s, appliances, site influences & much more. Finally, book a tour of at least 3 active competitors in your price range so that you know what your competition looks like. This is an easy process and start to finish can be completed in less than 24 hours in most cases.
Ensure necessary home documentation are present
Ensuring you have an up to date Real Property Report with a stamp of municipal compliance is absolutely critical. If you have made any changes such as adding a fence, deck, gazebo, pergola, garden, shed etcetera, you will need to obtain an update. Professional Home Measurments are a MUST. Warranty information for anything related to the home including mechanical repairs, appliances, new roof or electrical upgrades.
Prepare the home for listing
PURGE, PAINT, PRETTY, PRISTINE! Also known as staging your home. This is an absolutely critical step in making sure you get the most value. You will receive a complimentary home staging consultation with www.lbdesign.ca.
Professional Photos are CRITICAL
High quality HDR photos taken by a professional can make or break a listing. A brief glance of REALTOR.ca will show you that agents who do not use professional photos, are doing a massive disservice to their clients. The idea is to have photos that showcase the property enough to get buyers in the door but also to not mis-represent the property with fish-eye lenses that overstate the size of the rooms.
The Listing Agreement
You will review the Consumer Relationships Guide and the Exclusive Seller Representation Agreement with your agent prior to signing off so that you have a clear and transparent understanding of yours and your agents’ responsibilities.
Verify listing details before it goes live
Review the listing description for accuracy and target market appeal. Review the listing details to make sure it is accurate and that nothing has been missed (like a fireplace or a bedroom). Are the pictures upside down? Do the pictures have descriptions in them as well (not just the listing description but each photo should also have a description).
YOUR LISTING IS LIVE! Now what??
Immediately you will be set up on a “competition search” that will send you an email every time a new listing comes on, or if there is a price reduction on an existing competitor, or if a property sells. After 48 hours you will be provided with a “Hit Counter” update which shows you how many buyers where sent an email version of your listing, how many opened that email, how many viewed it, how many selected your home as a “Favourite” or “Possibility” and how many rejected it. It will also show you how many other independent property listing websites have picked up your listing and are marketing it in addition to REALTOR.ca. You will then receive weekly updates on listing activity including any showing feedback that is provided.
Open House Time!
Open houses are a critical component of showcasing your home to potential buyers. I once held an open house on a new listing and the neighbours saw the sign and came in with no intention of buying a home when they woke up that morning. 6 hours later that had bought a home and within a week had listed their own. I am there to sell YOUR home, not pick up buyers or market my services to other consumers. I will keep doing open houses at regular intervals and provide all feedback that I receive as soon as they are over.
You Received an Offer! Excellent news!
Upon receipt of an offer, I always CALL the cooperating REALTOR to elicit any additional information from them that could assist us in developing the most appropriate strategy. I will forward the offer to you and immediately give you a call with the details. Every single offer that comes in will have its own unique approach to countering. There are so many variables to consider and I will guide you through each step and provide options with potential outcomes for each. Virtually everything in an offer is negotiable and depending on the circumstances, some variables will be more important to the buyer than others which we can use to leverage them. Negotiating is my passion… I absolutely love it and will use every trick in the book to gain the most advantage for you.
Your offer is accepted! Your home is Conditionally Sold!
Typically, an offer will come with certain conditions that need to be met prior to the buyer finalizing their offer and purchasing your home. Conditions typically include obtaining financing, satisfactory home inspection and condo document review. Sometimes a buyer may include additional conditions or terms such as a pre-possession walk-through. All conditions are negotiable and typically the seller would provide up to 10 business days for the buyer to satisfy their conditions. Occasionally a buyer may have challenges obtaining financing and need an extra few days. In this circumstance you can option to provide the buyer with an extension to a particular condition. This happens quite a bit with financing as banks are notoriously slow especially if the buyer requires mortgage insurance. When the conditions have been met, a buyer will submit a Notice of Waiver or Satisfaction of all Conditions and your home is now Firmly sold”. Woohoo!
SOLD SOLD SOLD! Wait, now what?
Book your movers, cancel/transfer your utilities and home insurance, start packing and make sure the home is in pristine condition prior to the possession date. Don’t worry, I will send you a comprehensive list of next steps and recommendations to make it as easy as possible.
When do I get my MONEY?!
About a week before the possession date, you will meet with your lawyer to finalize the sale documents and they will ask for how you would like the proceeds from the sale to be disbursed. They can cut a cheque or electronically transfer funds and typically this occurs on or within 24 hours of the new buyers taking possession.
How much is all of this going to cost?
I offer listing commission incentives that are specific to your needs. Commissions are based on 7% on the 1st $100k and 3% on the balance of the sale price plus GST. This total amount is then split between the buyer’s agent and the listing agent. Depending on the level of service you require and if you are looking to sell then buy, there are a variety of ways that I can make this A LOT less expensive. Legal fees are roughly $1000 including disbursements and an update to an RPR can cost anywhere from $450 to $700 including the stamp of compliance (if you need it). You do not pay for photography, professional measurements or for staging consultation with www.lbdesign.ca.
For First Time Home Sellers there can be a lot of questions about the selling process, fees, and what you can expect from a listing agent to make sure you get the most money for your home in the shortest amount of time.
WORK WITH AN AGENT WHO HAS PROVEN RESULTS
This is a serious decision and you want to make sure that you work with an agent who is not just going to put a sign on your lawn and beg you for price reductions while they collect buyers from sign calls and open-houses. It’s a trap and too many people make a decision to work with a REALTOR based on flashy marketing like “Guaranteed Sold”, “Neighbourhood Specialist” or over-promising a sold price.
10 great questions to ask your potential selling agent:
- How many homes have you sold in the last 6 months?
- Where do you get your business from? Do you receive a lot of referrals from previous clients or do you advertise heavily?
- What is your average list price to final sale price ratio? This is the ONLY QUALITY METRIC to determine if your agent is actually good at selling homes.
- Do you have reliable reviews and references from at least 3 of your most recent home sellers?
- Do you do open houses? Do you do them yourself or do you have a “team member” do them?
- Do you answer your phone? What can we expect for communication from you during our listing?
- What kind of commission incentives do you offer?
- How do you determine the best listing price in order to get us the highest possible value in the shortest period of time?
- Are there any additional fees or costs associated if we chose to terminate our listing?
- Could you recommend any opposing agents that would be willing to act as a reference for how you operate as a selling agent when an offer is received?
READY, SET SELL!
Whether you are a seasoned seller or a first time home seller, you will definitely want to meet to discuss your plans, get to know me and make sure that you have the answeres you need to make the right decision. I answer my phone and I’m looking forward to competing for your business!
Calgary Top Home Selling REALTOR - Why you should choose Pete Chapman!
- Flexible Listing Commissions - ALL REALTOR COMMISSIONS ARE NEGOTIABLE - Based on your unique circumstances, I will work with you to find the best possible solution for commissions.
- Easy Scheduling - I am available 7 days per week from 8AM to 9PM. I answer my phone (TRY IT! 403-831-1242) and respond quickly to inquiries that come in via text. I am available on short-notice. I have sold homes on July Long Weekend, New Years Eve Day, My 40th Birthday, Christmas Eve... I am never too busy! SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT HERE
- Exceptional Results - A key metric for determining actual sales performance is the Original Sales Price to Final Sale Price Ratio. I am proud to say that in the last 3 years, my ratio is 99.1% with average days on market of 28 days (compared to the Calgary average of 95.8% and 58+ days).
- Strategy, strategy, strategy! - EVERY sale is different. Every property that I list carries it's own strategy based on an examination of the many variables associated with the specific home, the market conditions as well as your goals. When it comes to selling homes, it's all about finding the hidden features and benefits, getting ahead of any objections and marketing the heck out of it!
- Mitigating Risk - I work with a dream team of professionals that I trust implicitly. Lawyers, home inspectors, trades and many more. I will look at the past, present and future of your home and make sure you are not going to experience any ugly surprises. My clients are a top priority to my team. That means I get answers quickly and results that go over and above. It also means you are going to save money! I receive no kick-backs or referral fees of any kind.
- Complete Transparency - What did other similar home sell for? Am I asking too much or too little? Which direction is the market heading? Are you representing my best interests or just looking to put a deal together to make commission (just being honest)? I created www.mypropertyinfo.ca just to make sure you have ALL the information you need to make the right decision. These are fantastic questions which I work to get in-front of every time. I use a variety of tools to show you every statistic, every home sold and a variety of visual tools to help you feel confident that you are getting the best deal possible. I imagine myself in your shoes and give you well-thought-out options that allow you to chose the approach that makes the most sense.
- End-to-End Experience and Service - I am a fully-licensed Mortgage Associate so I am able to obtain a complete picture of my clients financial goals, offer WAY more options, structure deals so that they get accepted and SAVE YOU MONEY!! Our relationship does not end when you sell. You will receive a variety of communications to keep you in the loop on what is happening with the real estate market. I want to be your trusted real estate advisor. Your one-stop-shop for EVERYTHING REAL ESTATE.
- FUN!! - We are definitely going to have some laughs along the way... I love what I do and making it fun for my clients is so important to me! Happy Clients are my only clients!